UK Expansion Worker Visa

The UK Expansion Worker visa is a new sponsored route which replaces the Sole Representative of an Overseas Business Visa.

Get in Touch

Couldn’t find the service you were looking for?

The UK Expansion Worker visa is a new sponsored route which replaces the Sole Representative of an Overseas Business Visa. 

This new route allows eligible businesses to sponsor an existing senior manager or specialist worker assigned to the UK temporarily to undertake work to expand a business in the UK. This route can only be used when the business has not yet initiated trading in the UK.

UK Expansion Worker visa requirements

To be eligible for a UK Expansion Worker visa you need to:

  • Must be at least 18 and hold a valid Certificate of Sponsorship from your employer
  • Currently working for a business or organisation that is linked to your UK sponsor by common ownership or control;
  • have worked for your employer outside the UK for at least 12 months (unless you’re either earning over £73,900 or a Japanese national) 
  • do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
  • be paid at least £45,800 per year or the ‘going rate’ for your job (whichever is higher)
  • Have sufficient personal savings when arriving in the UK available for at least 28 days
  • Provide a valid tuberculosis test results (if from a listed country)

Sponsor requirements 

The business must be a branch or wholly-owned subsidiary of an established overseas business. To sponsor a UK Expansion Worker, the sponsor must hold a valid licence for the category of worker, and ensure that the employment offer in the UK meets the relevant expertise and salary requirements.

The licence will be valid for 4 years however, as the Home Office expect the overseas business to establish a full trading presence within 2 years. The licence cannot be renewed at the end of the 4 years.

It is important to note if the business is looking to sponsor a senior or specialist employee to the UK for temporary work and if the business is already trading in the UK, they should as an alternative apply for either a Skilled Worker or Senior or Specialist Worker visa. The business would need to be licenced to sponsor under the chosen category. 

Employers sponsoring UK Expansion Worker are not required to pay the Immigration Skills Charge.

Duration of Visa and Settlement 

The initial leave will be granted for there 1 year after the start date of the job detailed in your Certificate of Sponsorship or the time given on your Certificate of Sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter. If the applicant wishes to stay longer in the UK, it is possible to extend their visa, however this is capped by 12 months. The maximum time an applicant under the visa is 2 years.


The UK Expansion Worker route does not provide a route to settlement. However, a senior or specialist employee may be able to apply for leave to remain under a different immigration category, which could lead to obtaining settlement, subject to meeting the eligibility requirement under the chosen route


Similar Services

CLS banner

Sponsor Licence Application

Your organization will need a sponsor license to employ any overseas national or non-settled worker.
CLS banner

UK Self Sponsorship Visa

This may be a suitable route for anyone who wishes to set up and run their own business in the UK without having a UK sponsor.

UK Scale Up Visa

The new Scale-Up visa system aims to foster innovation by making it easier for 'Scale Up' businesses to attract "very highly skilled" and "academically elite” individuals to the UK.
© City Legal Solicitors. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA no: 834730

Get in Touch