Health & Care Visa

This is for migrant workers who wish to work in the UK as a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional, or adult social care professional.

Get in Touch

Couldn’t find the service you were looking for?

Health & Care Requirements

The applicants who wish to enter the UK under a Health and Care Visa must satisfy some criteria similar to the current Skilled Worker category:

  • Be aged 18 or over and is a qualified doctor, nurse, health professional or adult social care professional;
  • Be offered a job and have a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) by a UK licenced sponsor in a medical organisation or in adult social care.  
  • Provide evidence of having been offered an appropriate salary, which meets the relevant salary threshold
  • Be able to provide evidence of knowledge of the English language
  • Having sufficient personal savings when arriving in the UK
  • Provide a valid tuberculosis test results (if from a listed country)
  • Provide a criminal record certificate from any country where a migrant has lived for 12 months or more (whether continuously or in total) in the last 10 years 

General salary requirement

Employers seeking to recruit under the Health and Care Worker route must usually pay their Health and Care Workers a salary of at least £20,480 per year or the ‘going rate’ for the job, whichever is higher. Each occupation code has its own annual ‘going rate’. For roles within the NHS there are various pay bands which vary according to whether they are in England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

Qualifying Skilled Occupation Codes 

Only specific professionals would be able to take advantage of this new visa category. The following are all the Jobs & Relevant Skilled Occupation Codes that are currently eligible for this visa:

1181: health services and public health managers and directors

1242: residential, day and domiciliary care managers and proprietors

2112: biological scientists and biochemists

2113: physical scientists

2211: medical practitioners

2212: psychologists

2213: pharmacists

2214: ophthalmic opticians

2215: dental practitioners

2217: medical radiographers

2218: podiatrists

2219: health professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as audiologists and occupational health advisers

2221: physiotherapists

2222: occupational therapists

2223: speech and language therapists

2229: therapy professionals that are ‘not elsewhere classified’, such as osteopaths and psychotherapists

2231: nurses

2232: midwives

2442: social workers

3111: laboratory technicians

3213: paramedics

3216: dispensing opticians

3217: pharmaceutical technicians

3218: medical and dental technicians

3219: health associate professionals not elsewhere classified

6141: nursing auxiliaries and assistants

6143: dental nurses

6145: care workers and home careers

6146: senior care workers

Benefits of Health and Care Visa

The applicant and their family members applying under this route will pay a reduced fee if their sponsor has confirmed the eligibility for the health and care visa on the certificate of sponsorship. In addition, there will be no Immigration health surcharge to pay under this route. UK Visas and Immigration will prioritise Health and Care visa applications, aiming that the vast majority are processed within 3 weeks from the date biometrics are taken.

Settlement as a Health and Care Worker

The Health and Care workers must satisfy the below criteria to apply for settlement in the UK under this route. 

  • Spent a continuous period of 5 years in the UK consisted of time with permission on any of, or any combination of, the following routes: Health and Care Worker, Global talent,  Innovator, Tier 2 Minister of Religion, Tier 2 Sportsperson, Representative of an Overseas Business or as a Tier 1 Migrant (other than as a Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) Migrant);
  • Not been outside for more than 180 days during each year of the 5-year continuous period;
  • Pass the Life in the UK test (unless aged 65 or over); 
  • Skilled worker sponsor continues to be on the register of sponsors and requires you to work for them for the foreseeable future;
  • Be paid the general salary threshold or the going rate requirement, whichever is higher.

How can we assist?

Our Immigration lawyers at City Legal have immense experience in assisting skilled workers and their employers across a wide range of industry and sectors in the UK. We are a multi award winning law firm and pride ourselves in being approachable, innovative and always going that extra mile to make sure our clients receive the individual attention they deserve. Our Immigration team maintains a high reputation and is committed to provide clear, transparent and reliable advice to our clients.


Similar Services

CLS banner

UK Study Visa

UK student visa route allows overseas nationals over the age of 16 to come and undertake higher studies in the UK.
CLS banner

UK Visa Refusals & Challenges

The Immigration appeal system in the UK provides migrants full access to justice in order to challenge the Immigration decisions made by the Home Office in certain eligible categories.
CLS banner

UK Visit Visa

The standard visitor visa is for those who wish to visit the UK for a short duration for various eligible purposes.
© City Legal Solicitors. Authorised and Regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority SRA no: 834730

Get in Touch